Saturday, June 19, 2010

Album a Day: Tying Tiffany - Brain For Breakfast

Sometimes you just hear bands and say, "Ok, nobody here knows yet...BUT THEY WILL." I've spoken to people that claim to have been Emilie Autumn fans for years before she took off in the states. It doesn't always pan out exactly. For years when I've DJed clubs I've been playing Colony 5 thinking they were the next big thing and while people know them now, many seem like they could care less (which is a shame because I love Colony 5 and it generally does well on the dancefloor). If I had to bet on another horse it would be Italy's Tying Tiffany. Three albums out and today I'm just hearing her sophomore album Brain For Breakfast for the first time and I would bet she'll be a star here (although it would appear overseas she already is having opened in Europe for Buzzcocks, Iggy Pop, The Eels, Tiga, and The Rapture amongst others. What just strikes me as so interesting about this album is the diversity of sound while retaining a cohesive sound overall. It seems like there are strong elements all over the album that remind me of Le Tigre, Robots in Disguise, Battery Cage, Bratmobile, Hanin Elias (perhaps aided by the appearance on the album by Atari Teenage Riot alum Nic Endo), The Knife, Silversun Pickups, Pzychobitch, and even Siouxsie & The Banshees. I love each and every song on the album for different reasons and really enjoy the guest appearances by the aforementioned Nic Endo, Wolfgang Schrödl (Liquido), Umberto Palazzo, and Pete Namlook (who produced the track State of Mind). The best thing personally is that I bought this today for 2 dollars and had I heard it before hand I easily would have paid 10 times the prices (minus 5 dollars). I love the album, it's well-produced, and I would love to hear more from Tying Tiffany. Its also worth mentioning that this album is full of great punk-edged lyrics (see Easy Life). Favorite Tracks: Not a Shame, I Can Do it, Download Me, Satellite, Pazza, Slow Motion, and State of Mind

No comments:

Post a Comment