Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Album a Day: Johnny Cash - American VI: Ain't No Grave

Johnny Cash may be becoming the new Tupac with posthumous releases, however I think that this is it for the Man in Black, and what a pleasant way to go. Don't get me wrong, I would have been satisfied if American V had been it but where American V felt like a final retirement, I think this reads more like a postscript at the end of an amazing book. Listening to this album was like hearing the last words of a man on his deathbed, as if the listener and Cash are the only ones in the room. The title track is by far the most compelling and unlike the previous records in this series I actually did think the covers were far stronger than Johnny Cash original (although there was only one on this disc and it was good none the less). What's also amazing (and with Rick Rubin I'm sure this is by design) are that you have a song like Ain't No Grave placed on an album after his death and a beautiful exit like Aloha Oe at the end of what should be his last studio album. Short album but sweet, highly recommended. Favorite tracks: Ain't No Grave (Gonna Hold This Body Down), Redemption Day, Can't Help But Wonder Where I'm Bound, Satisfied Mind, Aloha Oe

No comments:

Post a Comment