Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Album a Day: Colony 5 - Lifeline

When I received this album from Underground Inc. (Pigface, Bile, Nocturne, etc.) I had no idea what it was. Generally the albums I was receiving as a DJ at the time from UI were all industrial bands so I was quite surprised to hear an EBM band. I was also a fairly new DJ when I got it and I played the song Trust Me on my radio show from time to time but didn't put much thought in to the rest of the music until one day I gave it another shot and listened to it all the way through while at work for the first job where I actually needed a distraction from my mindless work. My CD player started repeating the title track without my knowledge and I noticed myself singing along (I was hooked). I love this debut album from just a great synthpop band. I've heard criticisms about the lyrics but I think all of the concepts the band looks to explore in this album are great with discussions of addiction, suicide, mid-life crisises, etc. (relatable issuses that aren't only about love, what a concept). I also love the sci-fi imagery of the title track. Favorite tracks: Colony 5, Trust You, The Bottle, Liquid Love, Crackhead, Stay Young, Before I'll Give In, Last Chance, and Colony 5 (Cosmonaut Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment