Thursday, July 1, 2010

Album a Day (Digital/Rarities Edition): I, Parasite - Assorted Debris (1996-2001)

Originally released in 2002 as a CD-R, Christopher Jon (the brilliant mind behind the epic I, Parasite) has re-released this collection of rarities, remixes, and live tracks from before the release of the band's debut album Turin just past the remix EP Horseslayer (both excellent releases) in digital form available on the steadily more and more popular Bandcamp website. The major difference between this version and the original CD-R is the inclusion of the full version of the EPIC 23:14 track Urine/Heaven Stench/Filth/Hope To Fall which in and of itself could be a stand-alone EP. I love this release because while not all the songs are necessarily of the same caliber of the album releases these tracks really give I, Parasite fans more insight into what was going on creatively in the mind of Jon and to a lesser extent former bandmate Justin Butts (credited simply as J). Assorted Debris (such a fitting name for a collection like this) plays a lot like a road-map though it seems obvious that the album isn't chronological so in some ways its live a serious of anecdotes starting with the track Sn.6x8 and its remix by M.A.S. which I would guess takes place somewhere in the middle and really serves to give you a feel for where you are going. We then we jump back in time with the four Dis.organ.eyes demos (perhaps an earlier name for the project or release that never really got off the ground? I would love a small triptik that went along with the album) which are really quite different than later IP material. These four tracks are fairly basic industrial tracks except that there something's incredibly haunting about them. The synth work really contributes a gothic feel that reminds me of watching an older horror movie like Nosferatu (a film which absolutely still holds up in creepiness). After that we move on to two of my favorite tracks on the album: Ascension and Skinlike (Soft). I'm actually surprised that these two tracks never made it on to an album because they are both vintage I, Parasite (sometimes just need to get cut for lack of room sometimes). Ascension is a little bit noisier but I love how it begins very ambient and but eventually moves into really gut-punching powernoise. It sort of reminds me of a harder-edged Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Skinlike (Soft) is just one of those amazing I, Parasite tracks that mixes really delicate synths with extremely heavy drums that creates this beautiful yin-yang as the back-drop for Christopher Jon's pained and introspective vocals. The next two tracks are both listed as demos. Guiltmask seems like sort of throwaway Wumpscut-esque industrial track (not bad but nothing exciting) but Glass Shards is a really touching piano track that may not really fit in with most of I, Parasite's other material but is a really nice change of pace. The three live tracks all sound great and surprisingly crisply-recorded given that they are from the early 2000's. The live tracks give a really great feel for I, Parasite's live show. I first saw IP live back around this time probably about 2003. They were gearing up for a bigger show and so they were booked at this really bizarre all-day festival of terrible local Connecticut bands at this backwoods venue that I think was a campground dining hall or Elks Lodge or something. I was doing interviews for my Ithaca College/106-VIC radio show The Last Exit and so I got a lot of time to talk to Christopher Jon and his live band (including my now good buddy and I, Parasite bassist Bret Calder). The festival was an all day thing and this group of mostly teenagers kept leaving after the bands they came to see and while I, Parasite was the headlining band, all that was left by the time they went on were me, my friend Caitlin, the band, the "promoters" and maybe one or two other people. In spite of this I, Parasite played an amazing show for the few of us. What I'm saying between the weird side-story and the live tracks on this release are that if you ever get the chance to see I, Parasite live then fucking do so because they will not disappoint. The final track on the album is the aforementioned Urine/Heaven Stench/Filth/Hope To Fall which to me could be an industrial opera. This track is so epic and amazing. This is the type of thing I would love to see the band get back into as perhaps some sort of large opera similar to The Knife's Tomorrow, In a Year. I also just absolutely love the artwork by Paul Komoda. I, Parasite album artwork is always interesting and this is no exception. Assorted Debris (1996-2001) is available for download at http://music.iparasite.net/album/assorted-debris-i-1996-2001 for free but with Bandcamp you can contribute and please do as the band is great, Christopher Jon is a super nice guy (bought me a post-show meal at a diner once), and this collection of music/love is well worth it. Favorite Tracks: Sn.6x8, Chained Exit (Dis.organ.eyes demo), Gun (Dis.organ.eyes demo), Ascension, Skinlike (Soft), Piety (Live @ Club Laga, Pittsburgh), No Question (Live @ QXT, Newark), and Urine/Heaven Stench/Filth/Hope To Fall

1 comment:

  1. These comments were provided by Christopher Jon on the Official Facebook fan page so I thought I'd repost them here since they were worth reading:

    Hey, thank you!

    This collection actually IS chronological. The first two tracks were recorded with my friend Henry (who was M.A.S., or The Many Angels With Sticks) in '96 which is why they sound more polished for that time period.... See More

    Yeah the dis.organ.eyes demo had a slightly gothier vibe. When I redid the tracks that made it to Turin they were riveted up a bit, for better or worse. ;) I'd like to redo Chained Exit one day, that was a great Justin song.... See More

    Ascension was done for a friend's dance performance in NYC around '98. It wasn't intended for a release.

    Skinlike (Soft) was a remix I did after the release of Horseslayer, and it just had nowhere to go (comps, etc).

    The live tracks were multitracked to ADAT at the shows (before sending to the house) and mixed at home in my studio.

    The "EP" at the very end was a live studio jam between Justin and I, and is the last creative collaboration we had together before we separated. This was recorded during the rehearsals for the Incest2000 tour (from which came the previous three live tracks). I thought it sat better at the end of the compilation, however!

    //Chris

    (Also: I *love* "Tomorrow, In a Year" – it's been an inspiration working on new material, actually.)

    ReplyDelete