Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Album a Day (Limited Edition EP Edition): Silversun Pickups - The Tripwire Session: Live In Chicago

Silversun Pickups
Dangerbird Records (2007)

Recorded live in Chicago for rock blog, The Tripwire, Silversun Pickups released this four-track EP somewhat under the radar in a no-frills, black & white, cardboard sleeve and only available in various Independent Record stores. On a general basis I would not consider myself a music collector. I know this sounds counter-intuitive given my library of 1700 CDs and probably at least one hundred more digital albums, but in any kind of collection you have two very different approaches. I'm sure we all have a friend, co-worker, stalker, etc. that collects action figures. Think about that person for a second. Got it? Ok, now I'm guessing that person you are thinking of does not take his/her (let's be honest its a he) toys out of the box. That would "devalue" the toy. I come from the other approach, which is: if you have a toy, it is meant to be played with. Now musicphiles work in a similar way. Collectors of albums will listen to their music, but if you put in front of them a stack of common CDs that they would very much like but are fairly easy to find and a rare one track single then they will almost always pick the latter over the former. The other collector wants to enjoy the music and the rarity does not determine the artistic value (this would be the category I would fall in. However, this EP (which I found used once again at Amoeba for, I believe, seven dollars) makes me begin to understand why perhaps those in the first group and those in the second group can perhaps meet somewhere halfway. What I'm trying to say is that this particular EP is a real gem.

I, much like the rest of America, fell in love last year with Silversun Pickups after hearing "Panic Switch" off of their sophomore album Swoon. I went back and acquired their first album Carnavas (which was an early review I did for this blog). In listening to both of these albums you can hear how well-produced the band is and when a band is well-produced then you do start to wonder how they will fair under live or stripped-down circumstances. Hearing The Tripwire Session: Live In Chicago I can tell you that this a talented band that sometimes I'm actually more crazy about live than in recording (to take absolutely nothing about from the recordings). What I think is so great about the versions here (three of which are taken from Carnavas and the fourth from their debut EP, Pikul) is that there is a very raw quality that gives the songs a bit more of an edge while maintaining a stripped-down quality that pushes the slightly more punk qualities of the band but remaining true to the band's signature sound.

My favorite track on the CD has to be the first one, "Future Foe Scenarios", which really demonstrates what I'm talking about. It's amazing because you still get the well-placed synths but the lack of over-production really pops the guitars and drums. Doug McBride did a yeoman's job taking a live session and giving the recording a lot of space and breathing room that helps create a certain intimacy. What pops the most to me is the vocal work here of Brian Aubert. I love how Aubert pushes himself to the point of really belting out particular moments in the song that is very representative of their live shows. Aubert also just has such a unique voice that its refreshing to hear it actually sounds that way in a more bare bones scenario. The song itself is also just a fantastic song. Silversun Pickups are a very catchy band so its easy to get lost and enchanted in the music and I just hope that the message of the song isn't lost on too many of the listeners. I mean really go back and listen to that song with messages of discontent, revolution, etc.

As well as Aubert's vocal and guitar work is displayed here, so are the talents of all the band members. Chris Guanlao's drumming pushes the energy of the band and this is another live scenario that if you see Guanlao playing (and just even youtube it) you'll see a certain passion that is clearly evident. I mentioned previously Joe Lester's keyboard work but really for a band that is primarily rock driven its great to have an extra layer of something that I think pushes the sound of the band to the next level. And let's not forget the bass Nikki Monninger. Monniger's bass-line on "Well Thought Out Twinkies" is so fucking smooth and really takes center stage on that particular track.

Often with these releases I don't think a lot of thought is given into placement but I'd like to give major props to the arrangement here. The first two songs "Future Foe Scenarios" and "Well Thought Out Twinkies" instantly hook the listener, and just like any good artist the band then reaches towards more of a b-side with "Comeback Kid" that helps move the CD along while keeping steady a certain tempo. It's also nice that not all of the songs are from the same album as that can take away from the specialness of the release and it could feel like just a bonus disc for the album. This is another song that shows off nicely the more aggressive side of the band. I think the smartest move is finishing the EP with the more casual "Dream At Tempo 119" featuring great backing vocals by Monninger.

I'm glad to own this but I think there's a sad quality to the idea that not many people will get to hear these versions, though there's always hope for b-sides/rarities releases down the road for a band that has a bright future and should continue to release more material, and maybe an album that's a little more stripped down like the music found on The Tripwire Session: Live in Chicago.

Favorite Tracks: Future Foe Scenarios and Well Thought Out Twinkies

http://silversunpickups.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment